Hellgate Offers New Courses for the 2023-24 School Year

The+counselors+office+is+open+to+visiting+with+students+regarding+course+schedules.+

The counselors office is open to visiting with student’s regarding course schedules.

With the end of the mid year semester, planning for the 2023-24 school year has begun. This starts with the ever growing course request form, with some notable changes for next year. 

A new option for rising sophomores is AP Seminar. This class is the replacement for AP Language and Composition. Seminar will have more of a centralized focus on argumentative and synthesis type writing, with less emphasis on rhetorical analysis. “A little bit more of a gradual slope from freshman English to ultimately IB Language and Literature,” said Britt Hanford, a former English teacher and the current Advanced Programs Coordinator. The problem with AP Language is that it is a “huge learning curve,” said Hanford. The class also holds many similarities to IB English Year 3, which leaves students on a “plateau.” 

AP Seminar is based on both fictional and nonfiction pieces, giving students an opportunity to evaluate varied texts. This is in comparison to AP Language’s narrow emphasis on nonfiction. AP Seminar also has a distinct priority for discussion within the curriculum. Hanford praised the class, as it builds what she believes to be “the most valuable skill …our ability to communicate, and talk, and listen to other people.”  

Another AP class being introduced to Hellgate is AP Environmental Science. This is the substitute for IB Environmental Systems in Society. The class will go into detail on human-made and naturally caused environmental problems, along with focusing on the relationships within the natural world.  Environmental Science will now be among the various advanced science classes Hellgate offers, beside AP Chemistry, AP Biology, IB Sport, Exercise & Health Sciences, as well as AP Physics. 

Advanced classes within the other parts of Hellgate STEM are being added, as Advanced Algebra 2 has been added to the course request, becoming the sole Algebra 2 class. The class will follow a similar curriculum as Algebra 2, with the addition of some more advanced concepts included. 

The last addition to the schedule, primarily for rising seniors, is AP Comparative Government. Juliana Argechaga, who teaches IB 20th Century Topics, the second year continuation of IB History of the Americas,  will be teaching the new class. Argechaga is excited for the new class as it binds together many of the different concepts of social studies. “Forms of government, sovereignty, culture, history, economy, geography, all play a role in public policies and international politics,” said Argechaga. 

The class, unlike many other Advanced placement courses, is a semester long. Meaning, students only have a semester to prepare for the AP test. Arechaga said, “ It is a lot to cover in a short period of time and it will definitely require work and studying outside the classroom.” This however, “will feel much more like an opportunity to explore and grow,” if it’s something that student’s have interest in, said Arechaga. 

Another course that Hellgate is acquiring is IB Business Management, which will be taught by Steve Klimkiewicz. Hanford excitedly said this is one of the classes that she is most excited for. “It seems to me that this is a class that could really answer a lot of questions and kind of unveil a lot of truths about business in the real world,” said Hanford, allowing students to possibly look into a future career in entrepreneurship. 

With the expansion of AP classes, it has led many students to question whether they can still pursue an IB Diploma. The answer is yes. “We really needed to streamline classes so students don’t run into scheduling issues,” said Hanford. On behalf of Hellgate Administration, Hanford said that Hellgate is simply trying to “trim the rosebush” for those in pursuit of the Diploma. As many classes required for the Diploma are only taught one out of seven periods, students are in jeopardy of completion if there is too much overlap with other classes. 

If students who aren’t a part of the IB program don’t want to take the same streamlined route as Diploma students, Hellgate wants to be able to allow students to choose AP classes a la carte, leaving students with an array of choices in advanced classes, and a direct route if they choose to go fully IB. 

With counselors soon to be traveling throughout the grades to determine classes, students have their choice of advanced classes across the subjects, and hopefully optimism about another year as a Knight.