High School Employment Pros and Cons

It’s common for teenage students to work a part-time job while going to school.  Each student has their own reasons for wanting a part-time job. For some people, it may be to save for college, a car, or an apartment for when they move out. However, not all students work in high school, a lot of the time parents will cover the cost of whatever their kids need or want.     

There are pros and cons of working and going to school at the same time. It can improve students’ responsible behaviors and give them an edge in the workforce. Teens who work while attending school often get a good idea of what career they want before graduating. They can start looking for colleges, classes, or programs that will help them succeed and be happy. Students also learn how to make and save their own money early on. “I work at Taqueria Montana and even though my job can get stressful at times, I am still glad to be making my own money. This year has been nice because I have had a lot of time to work and make more money. Since I only have time to work night shifts I do my best to get all of my homework done at school” says high school student, Erika Hintz. 

However, having a high school job can also have a bad effect on students’ grades and sleep schedules. Not getting enough sleep can make it hard for students to pay attention in class, which can cause their grades to go down. Last year, students had a lot more time to work a part-time job because COVID-19 canceled in-person school. Normally, students are only allowed a certain number of work hours each week so they can still keep up with school work. In Montana minors under 16 can work 8 hours daily / 40 hours weekly/ 6 days weekly, but for minors ages 16 and up there are no restrictions on maximum working hours.

Working teens usually babysit, wait tables at restaurants, lifeguard, walk dogs, and sometimes work on construction sites. A lot of the time, teens get paid less than most adults. In Montana, the minimum wage is $8.75 not including tax. Most places start off paying teens minimum wage. However, a lot of the time teens work jobs where they get tipped for doing well.  Tips usually cover the cost of taxes, so the teen is actually making $8.75 an hour or more. 

Teens who work while going to school take on a lot of responsibility, they must keep up with school so they can graduate and take on the career they’ve always wanted!