Hellgate 2022-23 Winter Sports Campaign Highlighted by 2 State Championships

MISSOULA- As another winter season comes to a close, the MHSA turns its attention to spring events. But throughout the long 2022-23 winter season, the Knights had State Championships in both Swimming and Boys Basketball. Hellgate also brought home two individual State trophies. So as track, softball, and tennis athletes gear up for deep spring runs, highlighted once more, are some amazing athletes and teams who look to continue their progress next winter.

Swimming: The Knights competed and dominated the 2022-23 AA State swim meet. From day one Hellgate never once trailed, as they erupted for 220 points in Great Falls. The Knights outscored the runner up Kalispell Glacier Wolfpack by 72 points, and the Billings West Golden Bears third place finish by 74. As well as their team championship, Hellgate also brought home two individual state trophies. Sean Murphree won the 100- Breaststroke with a time of 1:00.18 and Leo Westenfelder took home first in the 200-Free with a time of 1:51.21. 

Wrestling: The Hellgate boys were led on the wrestling mat by freshman Max Martin, sophomore Grady Caton, and junior Dillon Gunlock. Junior Aspen Murphy led the girls in their 2022-23 campaign. The Knights took 2 participants to the All Class State meet at MetraPark in Billings: Martin in the 103 weight bracket, while Caton competed in the 132 weight bracket. Murphy was most successful at the Laprose Tournament in Billings in the beginning of the year. She finished with a 3-3 record, and placed 6th in one of the most competitive women’s tournaments of the season. 

Boys Basketball: Coach Jeff Hays continued to prove why he is one of the most successful High School basketball coaches in the state of Montana. The Knights boys basketball team took home first place in both the Divisional and State tournament. Not only did they win State for the 4th time in 20 years, they defeated Billings West by 20 points at the end of the contest. The Knights phenom, Connor Dick,  earned the 406 MT Sports Boys Athlete of The Month award in March. The dominating senior was also informed that he was the prestigious Gatorade Player of The Year runner-up for the state of Montana, behind Butte Central star Dougie Peoples. Dick finished his senior season with 282 points, 15.7 points per game, 120 rebounds, and 6.7 rebounds per game. He was accompanied by Easton Sant, who finished his Sophomore season with 210 points, and 46 rebounds. Finally, senior Donovyn Headswift was a big key for Hellgate, finishing with 147 points and 99 rebounds. 

Girls Basketball: In her first stint with the Knights, coach Maddie Keast led Hellgate to a 13-5 regular season record, a divisional championship game, and an impressive State run. The Knights placed 2nd in the Western AA championship game, and 4th overall in the State tournament. Washington State bound- Alex Covill was impressive all year long, in averaging a double-double at the end of the season. The imposing Senior finished her final year for the Knights surpassing 1000 career points. She came away with 266 points, 16.6 points per game, 169 rebounds, and 10.6 rebounds per game on the season. Chloe Larson accompanied Covill, by dominating the stats sheet all year long. The All State junior finished with 274 points, 15.2 points per game, 103 rebounds, and 5.7 rebounds per game.