Hellgate Volleyball Takes Second in West, Behind Moana Massey and Camille Sherill

Hellgate+celebrates+on+their+home+court+after+beating+Missoula+Big+sky+on+October+13th+

Hellgate celebrates on their home court after beating Missoula Big sky on October 13th

MISSOULA- Moana Massey collected three aces on 28 assists, to lead Hellgate to a commanding sweep over the Glacier Wolfpack last Thursday (11/3) at Hellgate High School. 

It was fitting that 24 hours later, the second-year phenom sophomore stuck the final dagger in Hellgate’s crosstown rivals with an ace to send her team to State. “I was just filled with excitement,” said Massey. “All our hard work paid off, and our ten seniors got a chance to go to State in their final year at Hellgate.”

In the opening round of the 2022 AA Western Divisional tournament, Hellgate clobbered the Glacier Wolfpack three sets to none, going 25-17, 25-20, and 25-21. “After sweeping Glacier, we were also happy,” said Massey. “We carried that amazing energy into our next match in the tournament, against Sentinel.” The Knights set a commanding tone going into their final crosstown match of the season, against their rivals, who they had not yet  beaten this season. 

Hellgate returned a night later, in a vital prime time match with a shot at State on the line. Sentinel came out firing, winning the first set 25-13. Unphased, first-year head coach Erin Keffeler led her senior- seasoned team, with the fire power of Massey lighting the way, to a 25-21 second set win. Sentinel then answered in the third set with another win, going 25-19. Hellgate continued the sea-saw battle, winning set four 25-23. Under the lights for the final set of the match, Sentinel came out winning the first couple points, followed by Hellgate, followed by Sentinel. 

With the score 14-8 Hellgate, Massey retreated to the end of the court back to serve, spinning the ball in the palm of her hand. In a matter of 5 seconds, the floor would be mobbed with neon-clad Hellgate students, much to the pleasure of Massey who realized she had sent her team to State with an ace to win the set 15-8, and the match 3-2. 

“Being a sophomore on a team full of seniors is such an amazing experience,” said Massey. “Every single one of (the seniors) made me and all the other underclassmen welcome. I learned more than I ever thought I could, playing with such an amazing group of people.”

Massey is accompanied by her best friend on and off the court, Morgan Meissner. “It’s been a great experience, and a lot of fun playing with all of the seniors,” said Meissner. “They’ve all taught me how to grow as a person on the court, and learn to play with new people.” Meissner has led her JV team this year, while also playing for the varsity squad. She looks to the next two years, teaming up with Massey and leading Hellgate. 

The seniors of the team are led by Camille Sherill, who is committed to play volleyball at Colorado College next year. Sherill has led the team in kills with 188. She has also led the team in digs with 264. Sherrill has been a leading light for Hellgate this year, setting up her younger teammates for success, when she and her other seniors aren’t there next year. 

The volleyball team is headed over to Bozeman today (11/9), to play in the first round of the 2022 Montana AA State Volleyball tournament tomorrow at noon as the number two seed in the West, against the three seeded Gallatin Raptors of the East. “Going to state is such an incredible experience,” said Massey. “This is what we have worked towards all season, and every person’s dedication and commitment to this team is what made this possible.” Support these amazing Knights, as they lead their senior studded team for one final go around with the amazing Hellgate community!