Anna Stensrud Leads Missoula Hellgate to AA Victory

Missoula Hellgate Pictured Left to Right- Bella Cory, Caitlyn Porch, Bebban Lawson, Anna Stensrud, Catlyn Helmer

KALISPELL- With her second solo win in two starts, Hellgate’s Anna Stensrud fired rounds of 75 and 78 to win by a boasting 11 strokes in a smoke filled Kalispell Invitational last week. Stensrud led Missoula Hellgate’s golf team with her combined 151, along with Hellgate’s lone senior, Bella Cory (191), first year starting sophomore Bebban Lawson (212) , and junior Caitlyn Porch (214). A combined 768 gave the Knights a one stroke reign over CMR Great Falls (769) in a hard fought 36- hole showdown at Northern Pines and Buffalo Hill golf courses. Here’s a deeper focus into Hellgate’s stellar line up. 

#1 ANNA STENSRUD-  Playing the number one in her junior season, 2024 Anna Stensrud out shot Polson’s Ashley Maki (162), Great Falls’ Hanna Boyd (167), and Glacier High’s Chloe Tanner (167), both days to take the solo first trophy. Stensrud not only beat out every girl in her group for all 36 holes this week, but won with a 2- day total of 170 in the Butte Invitational at Fairmont 7 days before. “Heading into my final round, I try not to think about anything,” said Stensrud. “It’s easier to focus on one shot at a time rather than getting ahead of myself.” Leading the Hellgate attack, the third- year ace for the Knights is looking for her best finish of her high school career and medalling honors in divisionals as well as state. 

#2 BELLA CORY- Representing the class of 2023, Bella Cory holds a vital two spot for the Knights. With an 11th place finish this week, following a T-9th place finish the week before, Cory is looking to finish her high school career with an exclamation mark. A personal best 91 opener with a following 100 puts Cory in the running next week for another top 15 finish to open up her final shot at a Hellgate postseason. “It’s really bittersweet, ” said Cory “I know my girls are going to keep killing it next year, but it’s sad to think I probably won’t be there to see it.” Cory plans on attending Arizona State University in a couple semesters, after she attains her diploma from Missoula Hellgate this spring. 

#3 BEBBAN LAWSON- Hellgate’s number three Bebban Lawson, took 26th out of over 50 competitors in her second ever competitive high school tournament. The first year sophomore who started golf early this summer had a tournament split of 107-105. One of two Knights who shot better at the deemed harder Buffalo Hill, Lawson is looking to break 100 next week at divisionals. “It’s been really fun to play competitively,” said Lawson. A big reason why Hellgate’s future is looking bright, she is quickly progressing at an unseen rate in competitive golf. “It’s definitely been nerve racking playing in tournaments, but it’s made me appreciate the game so much more,” said Lawson.

#4 CAITLYN PORCH- The one and only Caitlyn Porch. Tying it all together at a solid number 4 slot, Porch found herself with the best tournament of her high school career, breaking 110 both days with a two-day 214. Her solid finish at T-27th sets her up for a stellar season and a hopeful sub-100 round in either of the four postseason rounds, wrapping up the 2022 AA season. Porch powers herself through tough rounds by relying on her renowned confidence, “I just have to take a breath and walk up to my next ball with confidence” said Porch. An added bonus – there is a truck on the line if she can shoot 99 or better in the final two tournaments. 

The red hot Knights of Hellgate look forward to a big couple of weeks coming down the stretch of an amazing 2022 season. With the addition of freshman Catlyn Helmer, the Knights only look to become more fierce. Following the lead of two wins this season from Stensrud, seasoned veteran Cory, first year phenom Lawson, assured Porch, and freshman Helmer, wish these Knights some luck as they look ahead to divisionals and state!