Anti-LGBTQ Curriculum Laws Don’t Make Anybody Less Gay

States in the U.S. are trying to ban LGBTQ+ education, by passing unjust legislation, meant to stifle the voices of LGBTQ+ youth. 

The “Parental Rights in Education” bill, also known as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill by many LGBTQ+ advocates and allies, was recently passed in Florida. This bill has become a large controversy in the LGBTQ+ advocate community. “Parental Rights in Education ” has disguised homophobia and students’ well-being as a parental issue.

In the first page of this bill it states, “An act relating to parental rights in education; prohibiting school district personnel from discouraging or prohibiting parental notification and involvement in critical decisions affecting a student’s mental, emotional, or physical well-being.” While this may seem like a normal action to take, many of the advocates against this bill are bringing to light the LGBTQ+ students this could affect by requiring teachers to “out” students to their parents. But this claim may not be fully supported, an amendment added later in the bill’s creation states, “This subparagraph does not prohibit a school district from adopting procedures that permit school personnel to withhold such information from a parent if a reasonably prudent person would believe that disclosure would result in abuse, abandonment, or neglect, as those terms are defined in s. 39.01..” LGBTQ+ students are still not fully protected from “outing”, but this addition to the bill adds some support for kids in families who may not accept their child’s identity.

The line directly after this states, “…prohibiting classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity in certain grade levels or in a specified manner.” This is another widely discussed line in this bill, as it prohibits the discussion of LGBTQ+ topics in class. Right-wing lawmakers and parents think that teaching LGBTQ+ topics in class will encourage students to come out, they believe that the number of students coming out is on the rise because of the rising discussion of LGBTQ+ people. 

The bill states in an amendment, “Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards.” “State standards” is a phrase that I have taken issue with, due to Florida’s lack of them surrounding sex education. Florida schools are not required to teach sex education, and the health curriculum must include the benefits of abstinence, as well as instructing on the benefits of heterosexual marriage when talking about HIV and AIDS.

This bill alienates students with same-sex parents as well as students who are struggling with identity issues. Having LGBTQ+ education in schools from an early age normalizes LQBTQ+ people and topics. Banning the discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity can affect LGBTQ+ students’ mental health and self-image, not having a space in school to learn about themselves and their identity. These lawmakers believe that banning schools from teaching LGBTQ+ curriculum will stop youth from coming out when all this bill does is create more ignorance. 

Suppressing LGBTQ+ education will not make anybody more or less gay, it will only alienate students who are struggling with their gender identity or sexual orientation. Setting a basis of LGBTQ+ education for all students will reduce the mental health issues in the LGBTQ+ community.

According to Youth.gov, “Research has found that LGBTQ+ youth are more likely to experience stress and fear in school than their non-LGBTQ+ peers… Research on LGBTQ youth shows that if they experience bullying and victimization, they are more likely to drop out of school, have higher absenteeism, have lower postsecondary education aspirations, have higher levels of depression and anxiety, and have lower self-esteem.” Denying students LGBTQ+ education puts youth at risk of feeling alone or not welcome at their own school. By not educating youth, an ignorant and hostile environment is created for LGBTQ+ youth and students with same-sex parents.