Vending Machines Dispense Problems as Well as Food

Imagine this: School’s out and I’ve got a few minutes to kill before rehearsal. I forgot a snack, but vending machines are in the commons, so I’ll go over and get some Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I swipe my card and punch in the code E4. Instead, E5 is dispensed and I hear the dissatisfying thud of Skittles – Skittles I didn’t ask for nor want. This recently happened to me. The waste of money spent on Skittles is the beginning of the problems associated with the vending machines at Hellgate. 

The two vending machines that give the most issues are the only two that actually contain snacks, the one in the far side of the commons and the one just adjacent to the front office. Problems can range from incorrect orders, to money being eaten, and even inconsistent snack options. After a quick post on my Instagram story, I received 25 different responses and spoke to a handful of students, seeking their thoughts and possible solutions to the different issues. Vivi Steinberg, a sophomore, responded with a common complaint, “Nearly every time I’ve tried to use the vending machines at school, they accept the cash, but then don’t give the item.” Her card is either not processed or not accepted altogether, however she has been successful with using quarters. She was the first to point out what would become a common theme: the vending machine by the front office. Echo Meyer, another sophomore, said similar things about how the vending machine by the office would steal money without dispensing the item. That particular vending machine is very strange. Once before a rehearsal, I tried to get a snack from the vending machine by the front office and put in three dollars in cash and was met with a message reading, “PLEASE USE EXACT CHANGE.” This was peculiar because why would I need exact change when the amount I have exceeds the price of the item I want to get? I pushed the change return button and placed the $1.75 (now in quarters) needed into the vending machine and it worked just fine. A few days later, I tried to get another snack at this same vending machine and again, I was told I needed exact change. I placed the amount necessary in the machine and my order was refused. The machine would not dispense. I pushed the change return button and got new quarters and tried again. The same thing happened and it was clear I was not getting my snack. In what seemed to be a move of spite from the machine, it gave back my change in the most inconvenient way, a comically large pile of nickels and dimes, unusable just about anywhere else except for the tip jars at Liquid Planet. That’s all the issues specific to that machine, but I was unaware of the other problems associated with the other vending machines, particularly, the drink machines. I had never had issues with the drink vending machines, however there were some who did. A surprising response came from junior Cypress Ewan. After stating the options were weak, he explained why he viewed the drink options that way. “The choices are limited to mineral sparkling water and zero sugar sodas when one of the commons’ vending machines has regular sweets like Reese’s and Snickers or normal Cheetos so obviously health isn’t their concern for the weird drinks,” he said. He went on to say that serving regular drinks students want would actually be more beneficial, especially with the other drink vending machine giving out Izzes. Elio House had similar thoughts, saying, “I don’t have a problem with healthy options, but I cannot stand the taste of artificial sweetener and that’s all that they have – it would be so much nicer to have iced tea or sparkling water.” These answers were interesting to read because I was looking at the food ones in particular when preparing this article. After reading their responses, I do see the irony in placing a machine full of healthy drinks next to a machine full of chips and candy. The whole idea seems backward. 

So, is there a fix to this? Maybe. Emmaline Derry, a senior who participates in cross country and theater, thinks we need more “real food.” She explained, “I feel like trail mix would be great or even those salted nuts packets from Costco. And maybe some Clif bars or Kind bars or something. Basically anything that I can eat between school and XC, or school and rehearsal if I forget a snack and won’t be home for a couple hours.” Speaking from experience, when doing school theater, you will be at school for 12 to 14 hours straight and you might not have time to go home. If you forget a snack, you’re out of luck. Interestingly, Derry was the only one who suggested replacing the snacks with more fulfilling options that will satisfy people for longer. I agree with her. I think that changing out the snacks within the machine would be more beneficial for students. Josephine BarDin, a sophomore, suggested just fixing the machines so that they take money properly. She believes doing that will be beneficial to the student body, and I agree with both suggestions.

Students have a love/hate relationship with the vending machines. They steal money, give the wrong order, and sometimes don’t even make sense. However, we have ideas to change that, whether it’s switching the actual snacks or fixing the machines themselves. The machines can go from a joke to something actually useful for students and teachers alike.