Harry Potter Alliance is not a Harry Potter Fan Club!?

Do you love Harry Potter? Possibly, but your interest in wizardry is not a requirement for Harry Potter Alliance. Contrary to popular belief, this club is not exclusively a fan club for Harry Potter. The name originated from the clubs aim to spread literacy throughout the community, as well as translating inspiration from fictional characters into the real world. Although activism isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the name of the club, Senior President Ailey Robinson defines it as “an easy platform for advocacy for basically anything the group members want to do.” 

Membership in Hellgates Harry Potter Alliance has been lacking this year, with only two members remaining: Co-presidents Ailey Robinson and Katherine Kirgis. Robinson states that “most people think it’s just a Harry Potter fan club and never see the advocacy platform for it, whereas others who joined for the advocacy part of it were sometimes disappointed that many of the members were just treating it as a fan club.” The members have thought about changing the name to avoid confusions regarding the club and increase membership, but aren’t able to because it’s a nationwide organization.

Both Robinson and Kirgis have been a part of Harry Potter Alliance since their freshman year and have positive memories of the welcoming environment. “I had just moved from New York and It was a great way to meet people, and feel like I was making a difference in the community,” says Kirgis. Unfortunately, due to both members being seniors and their lack of progress, they’ve recently dissolved the club. We have tried to advertise a pizza party on the announcements, which ended up being a nice pizza for two with Katherine and I,” says Robinson. With the majority of their time going into advertising, they haven’t been able to make the progress they had in the past. That being said, they have spent time writing a letter to Governor Steve Bullock supporting trans-rights and redefining gender due to Trump’s policies on excluding transgenders from the military.

The two seniors have done quite a lot throughout their years in the club. One of their biggest accomplishments being a fundraiser they put on for a Hellgate students sister, Addie Moser. Addie was diagnosed with a rare disease called Gorham’s Disease, and her family had a difficult time paying the medical bills, so the club raised money to help them out. They also held annual book drives, and after Halloween they sent candy to deployed troops. Another one of their projects included writing letters to the staff and faculty to thank them for their work. However, with very little members and 90 faculty, this tradition began to die out. They also started the idea of compliment bombing. “Many students feel very stressed and we would try to brighten their day a little by writing 3000 meaningful compliments and sticking them to lockers,” says Robinson.

This club has greatly impacted the community in the past, and it would be a shame for it to go away forever. However, the end of Harry Potter Alliance this year does not mean its extinction. Kirgis believes “it would be easy to restart if people were motivated to do that,” and Robinson also has high hopes that incoming freshman from Washington Middle School’s Harry Potter Alliance Club will be motivated to start it up again. Hopefully a new group of people pick up the club and further its impact on the community.