Hellgate Lance

Jon Tester Takes Montana

Results pour in Wednesday morning after record voter turnout across the state

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Dylan Yonce, News & Op Ed Editor

Incumbent Senator, Jon Tester (D-MT), defeated Republican, Matt Rosendale, in one of the most competitive, closely monitored races in the midterm cycle. First elected in 2006, this will be Tester’s third term serving in the United States Senate. Money poured into the state to support both Tester and Rosendale, and reports claiming that the Montana Senate race received over $60 million in funding, made it the most expensive race in the state’s history.

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

In 2016, Trump won the state of Montana by twenty points. Since then, the President has visited the state four times to campaign for Rosendale and House Representative, Greg Gianforte (who defeated Kathleen Williams on Tuesday). These visits include trips to the major college towns of Missoula and Bozeman. Even with Tester’s victory in Montana, Republicans will retain control of the United States Senate, and the GOP gained seats in the states of Florida (after vote recount), Indiana, North Dakota, and Missouri.

Tester received an estimated 50.7% of the votes, including strong majority votes in ‘blue’ counties like Missoula, Lewis and Clark, and Gallatin, while Rosendale received 47.1% of the votes, polling high in the rural areas of the state like Ravalli and Flathead counties. Even after dropping out of the race prior to the election, Libertarian, Rick Breckenridge, received over 13,000 votes statewide.

Senate results by county. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Tester ran his campaign on a platform of compromise, highlighting Senate bills which have been signed into law by President Trump as well as his experience and heritage as a Montana dirt farmer. On the other hand, Rosendale focused on pushing Trump’s agenda, supporting conservative judges and justices, and 2nd amendment rights.

The Republican and Democratic parties alike spent unprecedented amounts of money on the 2018 midterms, targeting swing states, and vulnerable Senate and House seats. The Democrats gained control of the House of Representatives, while the Senate will remain with the GOP. The divide in Congress will provide more checks and balances, gridlock between the houses of Congress and the Executive, and continued partisanship as the United States gears up for 2020.

About the Writer
Dylan Yonce, News Editor

Dylan Yonce is a senior at Hellgate High School.  This year she will be covering all things political for the Lance, focusing on global, national, and...