Hellgate Lance

“Pocahontas (The Bad Version)” – How Trump’s Twitter is Destroying American Image

Dylan Yonce, Op-Ed Editor

On October 16, 2018, United States President, Donald Trump, hit send to release one more in a long line of extremely inappropriate and amusing tweets that have dominated and headlined his presidency…

Elizabeth Warren has been under the fire of President Trump both because of her more socialist-leaning views and Cherokee blood for quite some time. Her DNA test showed that she is somewhere between 1/32 and 1/500, but Trump decided that the DNA test was ‘bogus’ and claims that ‘even they [The Cherokee] don’t want her.’ The Native Nation was upset by Warren’s claims to Native American heritage, but that’s not really the point. Warren is a Senator from Massachusetts and is expected to make a serious run for President in 2020. She would be not only the first female President, but would also threaten every decision that Trump has made since taking office in January of 2017. Any threat to Trump is worth a mention on twitter, and maybe more than one, if they’re lucky enough to have truly offended him.

Attacking possible opponents, and just people in general is not a new trend for @RealDonaldTrump. From calling Omarosa a ‘dog’ and referring to Kim Jong Un as ‘rocket man’, Trump clearly doesn’t mind belittling opposition both domestically, and abroad. While his tweets are certainly chuckle-worthy, they pose a greater threat to the international image of the United States, and only make the divide in Congress and among the American people worse.

First of all, the President of the United States is the figurehead of the country, supposed to represent the best of the best. They are to remain level-headed in times of crisis, and are responsible for some of the most pressing questions that face the country and the rest of the world. The President communicates with, and forms bonds with heads of other nations in the hopes to keep allies close, and form cordial relations with new nations and leaders as well. The rest of the world sees America through the President and the way in which they present themselves. With that being the case, wouldn’t it make the most sense then, that Trump act with dignity and respect? If he can’t even begin to treat political opponents well, why would any nation think he will treat them any better? A country’s global image, starts with the way that people are treated within that country, and if the President doesn’t even have the capacity to treat opposition with respect, in a nation that was built upon the idea that political opposition forms the best union, it looks very unattractive in the global community. Additionally, the United States is one of, if not the most influential and powerful country in the world. As a winner of both World Wars, a permanent member of the UN Security Council, and the leading military force, the US sets the example for how other countries create government systems, elect leaders, and maintain economies.

President Trump was elected because he isn’t a classic American politician. I understand the desire for change and diversity in the backgrounds of America’s political leaders, but there are certain behaviors that are unacceptable, especially for the President. Everytime Trump sends out a @RealDonaldTrump tweet, he is actually sending out a @TheUnitedStatesofAmerica tweet. This isn’t a bash on his policies, but instead a show of disappointment towards his rhetoric. Democrats and Republicans alike are responsible for reacting to Mr. Trump’s twitter. It is time for the American people to step in and tell Trump that Twitter is not the President’s best friend, and for good reason. Part of what makes America great is its relationship and influence in the rest of the world, and if Trump really wanted to make America great, he should’ve deactivated @RealDonaldTrump like three years ago, or not made it at all.

About the Writer
Dylan Yonce, News Editor

Dylan Yonce is a senior at Hellgate High School.  This year she will be covering all things political for the Lance, focusing on global, national, and...