Hellgate Lance

Brett Kavanaugh: Why Roe v. Wade is Not My Major Concern

Dylan Yonce, News Editor

As we all gear up for our next year at Hellgate High School, Judge Brett Kavanaugh is preparing for the most grueling test of his life.  Tuesday marked the first day of hearings in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee before his confirmation vote. Senate Republicans are certainly hoping to confirm Kavanaugh in case Democrats take the Senate in the midterm elections.  During opening remarks at the hearing, it was made clear that for Senate Democrats, Roe v. Wade and Trump’s potential legal issues would be of top priority.  Senate Republicans are focusing on Kavanaugh’s work on the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia over the last twelve years.

As Republicans praise Kavanaugh’s character and efforts as a Judge, Democrats are taking every opportunity to question opinions he has offered and statements he has made.  After Kavanaugh refused to answer a line of questioning concerning abortion and women’s rights, Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA) asked, “Can you [Mr. Kavanaugh] think of any laws that give the government the power to make decisions about the male body?” to which he responded, “No, I’m not thinking of any right now Senator.”  In an earlier questioning by Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), he said that “Roe v. Wade is entitled to respect”, and that he “understands the importance of the issue.” The issues with Kavanaugh that should raise more questions than Roe when it comes to his appointment to the Supreme Court are comments he has made regarding the law and the Presidency.  “The question of self-pardons is something I have never analyzed, it is a question I have not written about, it’s a question, therefore, that is a hypothetical question that I cannot begin to answer in this context as a sitting judge and as a nominee to Supreme Court.”  This is a bold statement to make, especially coming from someone that was nominated by an administration currently under fire for alleged wrongdoing and possible collusion with the Russian government in regards to United States election and voter security. While Kavanaugh doesn’t believe that the President is above the law, he believes that the President shouldn’t be subject to any litigation while in the Oval Office.  Referring to the Clinton administration, the Judge claimed, “the nation certainly would have been better off if President Clinton could have focused on Osama bin Laden without being distracted by the Paula Jones sexual harassment case and its criminal investigation offshoots.”  Let’s recall that President Clinton was charged with both perjury and obstruction of justice. These were serious allegations, not “distractions.” His comments on the rights of the President in regards to litigation certainly raise questions as to whether or not that is why he was nominated in the first place, and how he will vote if the Mueller Investigation finds suitable evidence linking President Donald Trump to any serious crimes, the most serious being treason.  Although he aims this claim at Congress, recommending that “it would be appropriate for Congress to enact a statute providing that any personal civil suits against presidents … be deferred while the President is in office”, it is clear that if and when cases come before the court concerning Presidential suits, subpoenas, and other litigation, he would vote to protect the President, even if there was evidence that they had been participating in illegal activities.  While the prospect of losing the power of Roe v. Wade is scary, the case has set a precedent on the case that will most likely not be overturned.  To think that any president guilty of crimes could go uncharged because of Judge Kavanaugh is much more unsettling and reason enough to fight against his nomination to the highest court in the land.  

About the Writer
Dylan Yonce, News Editor

Dylan Yonce is a senior at Hellgate High School.  This year she will be covering all things political for the Lance, focusing on global, national, and...